Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Perks of Being a Film Student...

There are many perks of being a film student like having access to cameras and studios, being able to network with other future and current filmmakers, and taking classes to hone your craft.


But those things don't really sound all that impressive to your non-film friends. Here are a couple of my favorite perks of being a film student that normal people actually can relate to:


1. Awesome people are always visiting my school. 
For example, last night we had a showing of all of the Oscar nominated short films in our school's (very large) movie theater. It was followed up by a Q&A with two of the Oscar-nominated Directors, Andrew Bohler (Time Freak) and Hallvar Witze (Tuba Atlantic). It's so awesome, because they could be Oscar winners come this Sunday. We also had Ben York Jones, the writer of Like Crazy, and an alumni of my school, come give us an early screening of his film after they had won Sundance and before it hit theaters. And those are just a couple of the cool visits we have at our film school every day.


2. My professors have legit industry connections.
Many of my film professors have real world experience in film or television (actually, all of them in my first year of college have). One of my professors worked on Legally Blonde 2, another was a writer and producer and worked on The Cosby Show and Step by Step, and another professor has directed America's Funniest Home Videos (with Bob Saget), The Writer's Guild Awards Ceremony, and Entertainment Tonight. In fact, that professor is friends with many industry professionals and happens to be friends with the director of Conan. So we get to go see an episode of Conan later this month, meet the director, and see the control room (this thing).


There are so many perks of being a film student if you go to the right school. I'm not going to lie, it's incredible. Even if I don't make it in the industry, I already have all these cool life stories of people I've met and things I've done just from being a student. Definitely beats being a law student, or a business student....just sayin'.


-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!