Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How Does She Know That You Love Her?...

Currently Listening to/Working on:

That's How You Know from Enchanted/ToK Homework

Lately I've been hearing a lot of people make knowledge claims with such conviction, such gusto, such assuredness that they are right. Only to find out five seconds later that they are completely wrong. And it made me curious: how do you know what you know?

I could say, right here right now, I know that it is raining. I can hear it through the window, I can see the rain clouds, I see the wet blades of grass and the puddles with drops splashing in. And it's pretty easy to tell if it's true or not. It's tangible. It's a physical event that people see.

But not all events, physical or not, are so easy to determine. Like in a horse race. You may see Shining Star's nose reach the finish line first. So convinced of it that you stand up and cheer and whoop and holler and dance around yelling "I WON". But then you watch the instant replay, which proves you wrong, and then you sit back down and cough and straighten your tie.

But it's that moment of, "I know it. I'm right. End of discussion" that I don't understand. People say things like they know, like they REALLY know, when the truth is that they don't. It bugs me.

Yes we are all human but, please. Don't be that kid in spanish that says, "no, you're wrong, it's like this...trust me...You're still doing it wrong," only to be proven wrong.

I know this is a lifestyle change, but try questioning your certainty more often. It's hard when you "know" you're right, but just try. You may know the quickest route to get to my house, but maybe you DON'T know and maybe you should just listen to me for once. Jeeze [this hypothetical situation is getting me all in a huff].

So, you think you can dance? [or sing, or act, or jump particularly high, or make a mean grilled cheese].

But how do you know? And how do you know that you know?

I don't know.

I don't.

I do.

I.

-Haewon

P.S. I really like the title song. If you think about the lyrics, all the little things that show someone loves you, I think it really describes what abstract concepts like love and hate are all about. You can't prove you love someone by completing tasks or getting a certificate. Wearing your favorite color just so he can match your eyes, giving you a yellow flower on a gray day, taking you out dancing just so he can hold you close. Those don't prove you love someone, but that's how you know he loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!