Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

How to Start Babysitting...

Is this weird that I'm answering your question with a post?

Yes? Good!

I'm in the writing/A.D.D. mood right now (I was going to work on my story, had to check my blog, saw a question, watched some Aziz Ansari, ate a cookie, then decided to answer it).

Question (asked by J. [linked back to her blog!]):

How do you get a babysitting gig?

Here's how I did it:
  1. Become friends with someone who babysits
  2. Tell newly made friend to hook you up
  3. Get hooked up
  4. BAM!
Here is how normal people do it:
  1. As awkward as it may be, you just have to go knock on one of your neighbor's doors and be really friendly and tell them your name (if they don't already know it), tell them what house you live in, tell them your interested in babysitting, give them your phone number, and tell them that if they ever need someone to sit to call you.
  2. Ask around. Once you get your first gig, make sure to say, "If you know of anyone else that needs babysitting, you can give them my number." I personally am happy with just the couple families I babysit for (because I'm looking for a part time job) but my friend A-- got me my job babysitting plus two or three other gigs for herself just by telling that first family to spread the word.
  3. If you have babysat before, TELL THEM. Any experience you've had working with kids is good experience. It's your resume in the babysitting world. It impresses the parents!
  4. If you have not, taking a babysitting class (here in Bellevue it's through the hospital) is a really good idea. That way it shows that you are responsible and it's just nice to be extra prepared.

I know it's super awkward that first time you have to go and knock on the door, but the convenience of having a neighborhood babysitter is really appealing to parents, especially for last minute calls. That two minutes of awkwardness will pay off in the babysitting money you make!

Hope this helps!

-H

2 comments:

  1. This helped quite a bit!
    See, I'm a little iffy about going around and knocking on my neighbors' doors and telling them I'm a babysitter, but I guess people do do it...
    And I have babysat before, taken a class, and had some experience.
    You think it's a good idea to make a calling card?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Anything to make it easier on the parents, the better!

    I know it seems sketch to just go door to door but, as long as you're doing it in a safe way, it's the most effective way to get jobs.

    There will for sure be people that are just like "no thanks" but there will be parents that are like, "I've been looking for a babysitter! You saved our lives!". Only not really but you get the idea.

    Good luck and happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!