Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Have a Baby by Me, Baby...

Job searching is dismal. It’s almost a job in itself, looking for a job.



I’m a babysitter. Two days a week. It’s nice for some extra pocket cash but not really a significant source of income, especially for those of us who are trying to save up money to pay for college.


But babysitting has some lucrative benefits that you don’t get in a typical job. The snacking, for one. For some reason, little kids always have the best snacks and parents these days seem to buy really healthy, tasty food. When I was younger, I don’t remember eating all organic. I remember happy meals and mac n’ cheese (and I’m not even obese! Yet.). Also, there is always the “THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WATCHING MY KID I WILL NOW GIVE YOU FIVE BUCKS EXTRA BECAUSE I DON’T HAVE ANY CHANGE” situations. Which is nice because it’s that little added bonus that you weren’t expecting. Also, I have never heard of someone losing their job as a babysitter. I think that once parents find someone willing to watch their kid (and if, after the first gig, they come home to their child in one piece) they pretty much stick with them.


Free snacks, surprise bonuses, and job stability. What teenager wouldn’t want this job?


Plus, I always walk away with a funny story. The girl I babysit…let’s call her Olivia…Olivia asks me one day, “Do you have any kids?”


Me: Nope.


Olivia: Why? (She’s in her “why?” phase)


Me: I’m too young. I’m only 17.


Olivia: (she’s five) You’re 17?! That’s old! Why don’t you have any kids yet?!


Then a couple days later…


Olivia: How are your kids doing?


Me: …I don’t have any kids, remember?


Olivia: Oh yeah. (thinks for a few moments) Do you even have any baby milk?



Kids these days.


-Haewon

Be a Millionaire! (Yes, yes I will).

3 comments:

  1. They sometimes ask the most awkward questions. ^-^ but they're so friggin' cute!!!

    I have a question... How do you find people to babysit for? Like, how do you advertise yourself? There are a lot of kids in my neighborhood and I'm looking to earn some extra cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to say thank you for making this post.
    You can't imagine my surprise when I saw this on my blogroll. It was pleasant, though, and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I babysit my nephew sometimes. This post makes me grateful of the fact that he is still to young to pull together sentences.. and ask 'why'

    ReplyDelete

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!