Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen...

I recently read This Lullaby, by Sarah Dessen. Lately, as in the past year or so, I haven't been reading nearly as much as I always had before. I used to be the kid that would go home and immediately start reading until it was absolutely necessary for me to take a break to eat dinner, take a shower, and do a rush job on my homework. Then I would furiously find where I left off in my book and read throughout the night. But once I started high school and started being involved in sports, clubs, and AP classes, I found that I had less and less free time; and with the little time I had, I wanted to rest my brain as much as possible by just watching t.v. or hanging out at the mall with friends.

Part of it, too, was that I couldn't really find any books I was really into. Like almost every kid who has ever picked up a book, I went through the Harry Potter phase. I even went through the Twilight phase in middle school. But when I tried to start getting into my heavy reading habit again, I couldn't find any material that got me hooked as much as HP or Twilight (by the way, I am not embarrassed that I went through the Twilight phase. I must say, I liked the books a lot more before the huge craze hit-I felt like it was my secret discovery book-but the fact of the matter is, I enjoyed the book a LOT).



My friends always suggested and lent me books to read-Vampire Academy, anyone?-and although it started getting me back into reading, I didn't particularly find any of them amazing.



But (ah, of COURSE there is a 'but'!) I then found an author that I really enjoyed: Sarah Dessen. Okay, yes I realize I am quite a few years behind when it comes to Sarah Dessen. I remember in middle school (I'm a Senior now) I bought my friend a Sarah Dessen book, as well as introduced her to Twilight, for her birthday. But I never actually read her books. That was until I checked out This Lullaby from the library and, surprise, surprise, liked it a ton.

There was something really funny and appealing about her style of writing, not to mention the fact that it was a teen love story and, come on...what single high school girl doesn't love a good romance! So after finishing that book in two days, I immediately went on my online library account and reserved Dreamland.



I'll admit, Dreamland almost seems like it was written by a completely different author. But I was pleasantly surprised. It's a book about an abusive relationship (it's about a lot more than that but I'm not really a book reviewer and I'm sure you can find your own reviews of the book online). As someone who has always had this sort of twisted, curious fascination with abusive relationships, I got hooked on the book (not in a masochistic way. It's sort of like how people like to watch Cops, or Hoarders, or murder shows. It's an interest in what is a known social taboo, something that you know you will never experience which makes it all the more intriguing).

After reading those two books, I am definitely back in the reading game. I'm unstoppable. I'm abusing my library card privileges wholeheartedly by checking out way more books than is necessary just so that I can race through every book like a madman. Anyway, the moral of the story is...

Reading is good. That, and make time to do things you love. Sure, I stopped being an avid reader for a couple of years. I didn't miss reading when I wasn't reading, mostly because I forgot how lost I could get in books. But when I finally made time for it, came back, and realized my passion for reading a second time, I was happy. I am happy.

Not a profound life lesson or anything. Just an observation. And a chance for me to announce my, very late, discovery of the lovely Sarah Dessen. Hooray for late bloomers!



-A

1 comment:

  1. Dreamland by Sarah Dessen is a great page turning book. It is mainly about Caitlin, who becomes a completely different person after her sister, Cass, runs away. She ends up a cheerleader, taking drugs, and having an abusive boyfriend. This book always makes me want to know whats going to happen next, and how she is going to deal with the next hole shes dug herself into. You feel like you really know Caitlin, and you understand why she does all the things that she has done wrong in her life.

    ReplyDelete

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!