Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

I'll Be Home for Christmas...

That saying, it's never really meant much to me. As a dependent, you'll ALWAYS be home for Christmas. But being in my first year of college, out of state and unable to see my family until then, Christmas is so much more significant than it ever was before.


Growing up, I was always so excited for Christmas not just because of the presents (even though that's obviously part of it) but because it meant that Mom and Dad got time off from work, we did family outings to the Botanical Garden with all of its' garish, yet magical, lights, and we got to sing carols together in the car ride home from Thanksgiving dinner with the extended family.






This year, it really hits home that I'm not home. Okay, I admit it was a little early to listen to the first Christmas song of the season the day after Halloween. But all of my friends here have been just excited about starting the Christmas festivities in the dorms. Why? I think it's really comforting for all of us, who have been away from home for a while now, to sing the songs that remind us of the holidays and our homes. Yeah, it's a little early to be belting Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" in the car. But it's also our first year sort of being on our own. We're celebrating early with our newfound college families to try to compensate for the absence of our real families. 


At least, that's what I'm telling myself. 


I won't be able to see my family until I fly home for Christmas because it's too costly to fly back home for Thanksgiving. That'll mean almost 4 months without seeing any of them. I'm only a little over half the way until I get to see the fam bam, but I think it's been a good experience. You take for granted having your family and friends so close when you're in high school.


So, Merry early Christmas. Happy early Holidays. Buy Michael Buble's Christmas album for $14 (I did, best purchase of the year), make a gingerbread house, sip hot cocoa....hold off on putting up the Christmas tree for a while...and celebrate Christmas a little early this year.


Love,
-A

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I'm just a random passerby. The title of your post caught my eyes and I clicked on it. And who knew, "I'll be Home for Christmas" started to play! You have no idea how thrilled I was. I myself am a big fan of Christmas music, and "I'll be Home for Christmas" is one of my all-time favorites that make me warm and fuzzy and smiley upon hearing them. (Btw, it's never too early to listen to them. Keke.)I'm a college student too, and I guess the idea of flying home for Christmas never hit me hard until I saw your post. Haha. So thanks for the headsup. Can't wait to get home for THIS Christmas!

    Early Christmas cheers!

    ReplyDelete

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!