Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

GoPro: Hero 2...

After a Friday night of partying studying, it can get pretty hard to wake up at a decent hour on Saturday. But I had agreed to work on some commercials for my school's television station. So I ripped myself out of bed at 10:30am (yes, I'm serious) and walked to the film school. Not going to lie, I wasn't super stoked about this commitment I had made. I'm not good with technology so I was fully prepared on creating a dinky commercial with really low production value.


However, I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw what we had to work with. Two people showed up with a little video camera that looked friendly enough to be WALL-E's first cousin. Its name? GoPro: Hero 2.



This friendly little guy seemed to have a personality of his own. But could he actually shoot a decent looking commercial? He did look sort of like a toy camera, after all.


Someone showed me some videos of the GoPro at work. Alright, this was going to be fun.


We strapped this little guy on our heads, on the front of the car, and on statues. And let me tell you, the quality of this guy is AMAZING. I won't get too techy on you (because I know nothing about technology) but I'll tell you this much: it was beautiful colors in high-def.


I don't usually get excited about technology but this little guy is so cool (you can take him skydiving by suction-cupping him to your helmet, taking him swimming or ATV'ing) that I couldn't help but gush.



See, I had never done anything with film before coming to film school. Sometimes, all the time, really, I wonder how I even got in. I guess they must have seen something in my writing. But I had never written in screenplay format and the extent to which my production skills had ever reached were video projects for various classes. So, needless to say, I was on a gigantic learning curve those first few months (and still am, to tell you the truth). 

But it's almost shocking how much I've learned in the first semester I've been here. I was worried I would not fall into the 'film student' role, like maybe I had somehow chosen the wrong field to go in to. And sometimes I still feel that way. But then, on days like today, I get so needlessly excited about little things I've picked up by being a film student that I'm totally reassured that I'm in the right place.

-A

1 comment:

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!