Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hi, I'm Alec Bal--Hi I'm Steve Martin...

Currently Watching:

The Oscars

I'm in the middle of watching the Oscars and I have to say...I'm pretty impressed. Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin are hilarious. Because they have such experience they are really respected by everyone in the room and therefore, they can say pretty much whatever they want.

I haven't been very surprised by any of the awards won. Mo'Nique won Best Supporting Actress, Christoph Waltz won Best Supporting Actor1, "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart won Best Original Song. It was all kind of expected, right?

Regardless, I love the Oscars. It is my dream to win an Oscar someday. I'd settle for being nominated. I used to want to win a Grammy in elementary school. And although I can carry a tune, it's not even close to something people would pay to hear. Then when I started theater in third grade I wanted to win a Tony. Then I decided I'd rather be on t.v. and wanted an Emmy. I always wanted to be a performer of some kind. I wanted to be on the Disney channel and I wanted to act. I've been a performer in some form or another basically since I was 9, but it wasn't until recently that I wanted to win an Oscar. And not for acting, like in the past. But for for directing.

I know I don't have to decide now, but if I did I would say I would want to direct. Screenwriting is up there as well, but directing a movie just has this amazing allure to it that I can't describe.

I want to go to film school.

Watching the Oscars is the perfect inspiration, too. I think the first time I consciously made the decision that I wanted to direct was during last year's Academy Awards when Slumdog Millionaire won Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Song among many others. For some reason, it was Slumdog Millionaire that made me want to be involved in the production of movies.

And then I started learning about the modern directors; Danny Boyle, Kathryn Bigelow, Quentin Tarantino, Chris Columbus, Jason Reitman...

And then I went crazy and lostmymindtheend.

-Haewon

1: If you've seen my obsession post, you'd know that I'm a little obsessed with Matt Damon right now. I'm not sure why. I don't think he's the "hottest" [or whatever] guy in the world and he's not the best actor in the world. But I get these fixations. And it's Matt Damon right now. He's been nominated for best supporting actor at a couple of awards shows but hasn't won. :/ As much as I would love for him to win, it was still not surprising that Christoph Waltz won was it?

Granted the awards aren't over yet. But I'm just going to jump the gun on this one.

Speech that I like the best so far: Michael Giacchino's speech when he won Best Original Score for Up. He said that pursuing something creative is "not a waste of time". It's simple but something that kids need to hear, something that I need to hear.

Best performance: The dancers performing to the scores of the nominated movies. It was really creative and there were some street dance elements in it. Very cool.

Funniest Moment: Ben Stiller as an avatar. Haha, that guy.

P.S. Any guesses on who is going to win Best Picture? I've never seen the Hurt Locker but it seems to be a favorite this year. I'd say either that or Avatar. It's hard to say with the Academy Awards. They vote differently than the Critics.

I'll be back with more on the Oscars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!