Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Campy...

Currently Watching:

The Informant

I just got back earlier today from Camp-HOME SWEET HOME.

Every year, the 6th graders go on a four day long camp trip and they ask high school kids to be their counselors. I went when I was in sixth grade and had really great memories of it so last year I decided to go on the trip as a counselor. However, I didn't realize that camp is much more fun when you are the ill-mannered sixth grader and not the stressed out high schooler who is trying to control 8 sixth graders at 10 o'clock at night who don't know how to whisper.

Last year was a lot of fun, but I swore that I wouldn't do it again this year. You miss a solid week of school, you have to pay the fee, you get community service hours but the bathrooms are disgusting and exhaustion is a given.

HOWEVER, being me and having memory problems, I signed up again this year!

Now, instead of boring everyone with the details of what happened I will give you the SparkNotes version

Lowlights:

  • Torrential downpours = wet socks & frizzy hair
  • Realizing that my rain coat is in fact, not waterproof
  • The bathroom floor covered in mud, bugs, plants, toiletpaper, hair, band aids, trash, socks, soap, plastic trash bags, etc.
  • The toilets...*throwing up sound*
  • Sitting on a tree stump, standing up, and not being able to unstick all the twigs from my butt
  • Making ridiculous motions and sounds while slipping on the rocks during the beach walk [I almost fell on my butt so in an attempt to stay upright I had to flail my arms. I didn't regain balance for like, a minute solid. Just me, in a constant state of falling for a minute.]
  • Trying to find a time to poop when no one else was around
  • Showering in the disgusting showers with super low water pressure
  • Never feeling completely clean after exiting a bathroom, no matter how hard I scrubbed my hands with soap and hot water
  • Dealing with annoying people (and I don't mean the sixth graders...)
  • *Looking ugly at all times

Highlights:

  • *Looking ugly but not caring
  • 6th grader: You don't seem like a high schooler Me: >:\ why? 6th grader: You're too nice to be a high schooler Me: :D
  • My umbrella was like gold on the island this week (needless to say I was very popular at Camp)
  • Having my cabin girls tell me they loved me and that A- & I were the best counselors
  • Getting a girl to go from saying "I can't dance" and sitting on the bench at the dance to being the dancing queen
  • Seeing deer walk around everywhere, all the time
  • Seeing Canada across the waters from my cabin every night
  • Being moved to near-tears at the sight of the ocean at night
  • Sitting on the porch of the cabin at sunset, listening to the waves, looking out over the water, perfectly at peace
  • The look on the girls' face when we gave them their handmade cabin tee shirts
  • Living without technology, happily
  • Singing randomly with random people
  • Losing my voice after the dance
  • Meeting the sweetest kid named Pedro who I wanted to take home!
  • Realizing after the first ten minutes with my cabin girls that I loved them all and that the trip was going to be amazing

As much as I loved it, the worst part is getting caught back up in school. And to make matters worse, I'm missing some school next week to go on my band trip to Disneyland....

Anyone live near Disneyland? I've never been before!

-Haewon

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!