Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

An Education in Fashion: Part III...

As you may or may not know (most likely not), I have done two segments of fashion from the movie "An Education".

Part I

Part II
I was very excited to see that Teen Vogue and Bazaar both did editorial pieces with elements of fashion that I wanted to show in this post. Lovely how things work out like that!
As always, my hat is off to the amazingly talented Costume Designer Odile Dicks-Mireaux.


This is a sad story, really. Jenny (Mulligan) starts out as this plain Jane typical teenager in 60's London, and her clothes reflect it. But as the character grows and adapts to the lifestyle of these adults, so do her clothes.

[The above photo is the perfect summation of the whole movie to me for those four characters. Their facial expressions, their clothing...it just works.]



It's interesting to see how her hair and make up and clothing are a physical reflection of the mental transformation she goes through (as seen as the photo above and the photo below). Don't you love how she sticks out like a sore thumb in this photo above? Ah, the sign of a fashion-wise, creative mind.



She tries so hard to fit into her new world; her updo, her gold clutch, her lipstick. And she still ends up the sad little girl on the foot of the step in her parents' wall papered home.

(Couldn't resist showing you this Betsey Johnson 'Betsey's Soiree' Sequined Crossbody Clutch for $98:)



Ah, look at the lovely jewelry on Miss Rosamund Pike! (But smoking is bad!)



Animal prints are so in right now. Has anyone else noticed? So are the neutral hues for fall. In fact, I was so excited to do this piece because I recently saw these trends in Bazaar and Teen Vogue...See the post here soon!




The asymmetry of her dress in the coloring is really intriguing to me. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but it's a nice tie in to her lipstick color. But the texture of her dress looks so effortlessly draped, I really enjoy it. I need a dress like this for homecoming!

Well, this is the last of the movie photos. However, I am not done ringing this movie out for all it's worth yet, so check back soon for more.

-A

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen this movie, but I really want to. Particularly now - I love the films that pay close attention the the clothes of the characters.

    ReplyDelete

For some reason, getting a comment makes me giddy :)

Thank youuu!